Monday, September 29, 2008

My Topic for The Next Paper

For this blog assignment we were supposed to talk about what topic we will do for our next paper, in which we craft an argument (using visuals) about a controversial topic. I briefly considered doing my paper on abortion, but two things are stopping me: one, our professor specifically said "Don't everyone do it on abortion, because grading twenty papers on the same topic will get old fast", and two, I can't think of any appealing visuals one could possibly utilize on the abortion debate. Also, there's the fact that I am sort of conflicted on abortion... I believe life begins at conception and could never have an abortion myself, but I am fiercly pro-choice for everyone else. It's probably not best to chose an issue I am not 100% one way or another about.

So I'm going with another issue - universal health care. It's an issue I care deeply about, being that I am currently uninsured. Even when I was insured, dealing with the insurance companies was such a hassle, and there were lots of things they either didn't cover or only partially coveraged. I have literally thousands of dollars in medical debt. Meanwhile, I have friends in Canada, the U.K. and other countries that have free universal health care for all citizens, and they can't comprehend how someone like me can be too broke to go see the doctor. I care about a lot of issues politically, but this is one of the most important to me. I would seriously vote for a candidate that I disagreed with about every other thing if they could just get universal health care for our citizens.

Since I am passionate about this issue I think it will translate well into an argumentative paper for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think your second topic sounds stronger and personal experience will do good for the paper. I also agree that their should be universal health insurance because it's hectic getting the right insurance. However, candidates always say they will introduce universal health insurance or other needs for the citizens. Despite that, we do not see such policies being placed.