Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Supersize Me

This week's blogging assignment was to talk about the movie we watched in class, Supersize Me. That's pretty easy for me, because I actually own that movie and have seen it at least half a dozen times.

In Supersize Me, filmmaker Morgan Spurlock eats nothing but McDonald's for a month and documents how it effects him. Along the way, Spurlock talks about the obesity epidemic in the United States, especially as it pertains to our nation's children. It's a fascinating journey. I remember the first time I watched this movie, I thought, "wow, now I'm never gonna eat McDonald's again". Haha, that didn't last very long. But the movie definitely makes you think twice before you order that Extra Value Meal.

I think the most powerful moment in the portion of the film we've seen so far is when Spurlock vomits after having eaten McDonald's.... and the camera pans out to show the actual vomit. It makes you recoil in horror.

One question the movie raises is whether it's appropriate to sue the fast food companies for making us fat. I definitely think no, because there's a point when personal responsibility is supposed to kick in, but at the same time the fast food companies bear some of the responsibility too. Not enough that they should be sued, but enough that they should be blamed. There's a lot of factors that go into the obesity epidemic and the fast food companies are definitely part of that problem.

No comments: