Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Who Killed The Electric Car?

Our blogging assignment this week was to write about the documentary we saw in class, Who Killed The Electric Car?. This is one of my favorite documentaries, another that I actually own (even though I seem to have misplaced it currently). I like it because it talks about an interesting subject and because it's more balanced and even-handed than many documentaries that I tend to watch. Although it comes from an obvious pro-environmentalist POV, it also tries to show all sides of the issue. It interviews not only electric car owners but oil & car company representatives as well as politicians who were responsible for killing the electric car mandate.

One thing that I mentioned in class was that the movie did not spend a lot of time talking about electric/gasoline hybrid cars. Since the beginning of this decade hybrid car ownership has skyrocketed in this country, mostly due to the success of the Toyota Prius. I felt like the filmmakers could have talked about how many people who would potentially buy an electric car have instead settled for buying hybrids, and how that's not a perfect solution but at least it's a step in the right direction.

No comments: