Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Chapter Six

For this blogging assignment we were to read chapter six and analyze it. I enjoyed this chapter, and even though it was rather long (like 40 pages) it was highly readable. It dealt with developing your own argument and translating that to essay form.

One of the points the authors really stressed was knowing who your audience was for your papers - mainly, your teacher and your fellow students. They also talked about not assuming your audience knew everything about the topic you were discussing.

I found the section on asking questions, such as "What is X?" and "What should we do about X?" to find out where you stand on an issue to be very helpful. I will use this strategy when I write my next paper.

I found the essay by a student at the end of the chapter to be interesting and well written, especially because it was written in first person. I am more accustomed to writing in first person, what with all the blogging I do, but I didn't know it was ever appropriate in formal essays or papers.

2 comments:

Kate said...

Kudos to you for reading the entire chapter! I skipped around and came close to reading all of it.

And so it goes, and so it goes said...

I agree with the questions of What is X and how do we deal with X in an argument. I found those questions to be helpful also.